TRP

TRP

Friday, February 24, 2012

Commuting and Your Bug-Out Bag

I commute to work each day about 35 miles. Lately I've been thinking about what I would do if I was stranded at work during an emergency. What if something like an EMP or large scale earthquake were to hit and the cars or the roads are no longer an option? What would I do? Would I get be able to get home? What sort of tools would I need for the journey?

I remember someone telling me once that the CA Missions were spaced about 30 miles apart because that was how far a person could walk in a normal day.Well, I'm not in the best shape so I'm assuming I could make the walk, but it might take a while. What if the "issue" developed at 3PM? I wouldn't have much time before sundown.

How about you? You might only be 5 miles from home. But what if you are wearing your dress shoes? What if it's really cold or really warm? What if you have children with you? Especially in CA, we are car people. We rely heavily on them to get from Point A to Point B.

You would be wise to carry a "bug-out bag" in your car. Maybe it's not as full as you home bag, but it should be able to keep you healthy for at least 2 days. Three bottles of water, some food like energy bars or granola, walking shoes, rain poncho, fire starter, Swiss army-type knife, antibiotic wipes, tissue, paper, pencils, compass, med kit, flashlight, extra socks, nylon cord and a small tarp. This is not an all-inclusive list, but you get the idea.

Where are you going to meet your loved ones? Do you have a predetermined location to meet if there is a large-scale emergency? Who is picking up the kids?

Plan ahead. Don't be reluctant.


Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment