TRP

TRP

Friday, February 10, 2012

Why Am I Doing This?!

Good question. First things first. I’m Rob and I’m a Prepper. What’s a Prepper, you ask? They used to call them Survivalists. Unfortunately, that name got corrupted and bastardized over time. Just the word “Survivalist” conjures up ideas of compounds surrounded by minefields, naked babies peeing on a dirt floor with momma sitting nearby glaring at the Lord’s Prayer tattooed on her thigh while daddy works outside skinning an elk with a knife made out of his own teeth. I’m sure that exists, but it is hardly the norm.


Contrary to popular belief (and popular media) most Preppers are normal, decent, God-loving people who simple believe in being prepared. Prepared for what, you might be asking (I’m really doing some mind-reading, huh)? I can only speak for me and I am a novice. I’m preparing to challenges. Small challenges first and then the larger ones. Let me paint you a picture.


I’m new to being a Prepper, but I am well-schooled. I’ve been mulling the idea for months, reading everything I can get my hands on, and finally decided to start small. I’m first making sure I have enough food and water for my family to last a month. It sounds easy, but it’s not. It takes a lot of money and a lot of room. We are not talking about gourmet meals. Mostly canned food and packaged food along with some goodies and staples. It doesn’t necessarily have to be heated but it would be nice. Nothing inherently wrong with cold with cold Raviolis, right?


So why should you waste your time reading this blog? Simple, I’m like you. I’m not preparing for the end of the world. Maybe someday, but for now I’m just looking to prepare for small-scale challenges (natural disasters and other regional emergencies). I’ll give you some book reviews, some nifty projects and my own naïve insights. Stick around.
Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment