TRP

TRP

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Prepper Stocking Stuffer, Pt. 1


            It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Time to start dropping hints about what you would like for Christmas (besides peace on Earth and all that) and what you can get for others. Now, if you have the bucks, you might be looking at things like generators and shelters. However, I’m thinking of more “modest” concerns. What kind of quality, useful Prepper items can I get or give for under $50?
 
            My favorite item would be the LifeStraw. The LifeStraw filters 99.999% of waterborne bacteria and 99.99% of parasites. There is no protection from virus’ in the guarantee, but their larger, family version will offer it. You cannot ask for better protection than that for about $25 with shipping. Perfect for a stocking stuffer, gift exchange and just a gift that says, “I care about you and your ability to find a clean drink of water.”

            My second item is a little more expensive, but probably more helpful in your daily life. The Freeloader Pico Solar Charger is a back-up battery that can be charged by a USB outlet or the sun. Unlike other solar chargers that send the charge to the battery in your device, this device is a battery, a very good battery, that can run almost any small electronics. At about $45 with shipping, you can buy this and throw it in your Faraday cage or throw it in your car for use any time you need it.

More items next time!

2 comments:

  1. TRP Have you personally tested these products yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone had posted a comment asking if I had ever used the two products and it disappeared. Great question!

    I have not used the LifeStraw because I don't want to waste one. As you know, once you use something, the life of that product is diminished. I am afraid that putting water through the LifeStraw will mean it needs to be used in the next couple of years. And since I didn't get a free one to review and it is a well-used, well-documented product, I was comfortable recommending it.

    I do own a Freeloader. I have used it to run my phone and my Kindle and it worked very well. I now have it wrapped in tin foil and sealed with metal tape so it will be safe from an EMP.

    I'll make sure to add whether or not I have personal experience with the products I suggest in the future.

    ReplyDelete